Poker is a card game where players make wagers based on the hands of cards they are dealt. The players with the highest hand or the one that forces all other players to retire a roud by bluffing is the winner. Finding the best online Poker games in Canada can be difficult, and that is why we have assembled a list of carefully reviewed and ranked online casinos that offer real money online Poker games. All across Canada, from Ontario to Quebec, internet gamblers are using our guides to find best payouts online casinos Canada that offer great online Poker games for CA$. Though players will certainly find the best Poker games of their lives at the featured casinos on Casinos Online Canada, they aren’t just limited to Poker. All of the featured casinos also offer the greatest casino games, from Slots and Craps, to Poker, Baccarat, Blackjack and many more.Online Poker is a game of luck, skill, and nerve. Once you have memorized the rules of the game you will be well on your way to developing strategies, predicting your opponents’ moves, and becoming a poker pro. From Toronto to Montreal and throughout Canada, we at Casinos Online Canada know you want to play your best game every time. With this in mind, we have compiled a handy guide to online poker.
+ 80 Chances to Play for a Massive Progressive Jackpot
Play online poker Canada 2018
The game is played with a 52 card deck and each player is dealt a hand of five cards. At the beginning of each round the players place their bets and the player with the best hand wins. There are many different variations of the poker game, some of which include Texas Hold’em, Omaha, 3 card poker, Caribbean stud poker and Multi-hand. Check out our online poker guide to learn more about each variation.
The rules of online poker
There are a few simple, yet important rules you need to know and follow to play your best online poker game.
- A player may call no matter the amount of his/her chips.
- All five cards in your hand are used to determine its rank and which player wins.
- The strongest ranked hand always wins.
- You cannot get back the amount you bet if you lose the round or fold.
- To ensure that you have the best hand you need to memorise the card ranks.
- You must always try to create the best and strongest hand using five cards.
- If you decide to go all in on the amount that is half of the full raise it will have no effect on the betting placed in that round.
Online poker card ranks
In poker cards are ranked from highest to lowest. The standard card rank is: Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2. In poker, each of these cards are used to form specific combinations which can be used to create a winning hand. These combinations are also ranked from highest to lowest in the following order:
|0||Five of a Kind||The 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace of one suit|
|1||Straight Flush also known as a royal flush||Five cards in a sequence of value and matching suit|
|2||Four of a Kind||Four cards of the same value|
|3||Full House||One pair and one three of a kind.|
|4||Flush||Five cards of the same suit.|
|5||Straight||Any five cards in a sequence of values|
|6||Three of a Kind||Three cards of the same value|
|7||Two Pairs||Two sets of pairs|
|8||One Pair||Two cards of the same value|
|9||No Pair also known as high card||If no other hand is held, the card of the highest value will lead your hand. Ace being the highest, 2 the lowest.|
The rules of betting differ according to the type of poker game being played. We will focus on the general betting terms and rules that are applied to most games. The first person to bet is the player that is on the left of the dealer. This process continues in a clockwise direction until all players have called, raised or folded. Once all bets have been placed, the highest ranked hand wins the pot. Before we move on, let’s look at what these terms mean and define some other important betting terms.
- Open-to place the first bet
- Bluff-to continue to bet or raise in the round even if you do not have the best cards
- Fold-to stop betting in the round and lose the bet made in that round
- Call-to match the bet made by the previous player
- Check-to choose not to place a bet until another players opens
- Blind or ante-a forced bet that must be made by one, two or all of the players, depending on the type of game played
- Raise-to increase the bet made by the previous player
- Pot-the total amount of money bet in that round that can be won
An important term to understand is betting limit. The betting limit in a game refers to the amount a player can bet or raise in a round. Limits can either have:
- A fixed limit-a fixed betting amount is set
- No limit-any amount can be used to bet or raise
- A pot limit-players can bet or raise up till the pot limit
Online Poker Tips and Strategies 2018
Comfort is key
Online poker gives you the advantage to play in the comfort of your home so why not make it as relaxing as possible. Keep refreshments close by and fill your space with positive reminders to build your confidence. You could also play music to help keep you focused and relaxed.
Practice makes perfect
Play the game as much as you can as this allows you to learn from your mistakes. It also helps you to pick up on different strategies and predict other players’ moves.
Understand and remember
This may sound like an obvious one but it is most often overlooked. Make sure that you understand the rules of the game and the main objective. Also take time to memorise the card ranks so you can spend more time contemplating your move then trying to remember the ranks.
Concentration is key
Try to keep your focus and concentrate on the game. This will help you to pick up on strategies and make quicker decisions.
Upgrade your hardware and software
Make sure that your computer hardware such as your keyboard and mouse are easy to use. Also check your screen resolution to ensure that you do not strain your eyes. Check that your software allows you to access the games and runs quickly. Check out the site’s features on Casinos Online Canada as we have researched each one to ensure that it is backed by a great software company.
Position is important
If you have the ability to choose your position, always try to choose one that allows you to play last. By playing last you have the advantage of seeing what the other players have bet and judge their decisions. This information can be used to help you make a better judgment for your next move.
Research and review strategies
After each game make notes of things you and the other players have done. Review these notes and decide which moves were good and which were bad. Conduct extra research and look at videos and blogs of pro poker players at work. Make notes of their tactics and try them out in your next game. By conducting extra research and reviewing other players and your own strategy, you will see an improvement in your gameplay in the long run.
Online Poker History 2018
Before we get into the basics of poker, we need to take a step back in time and look at the origin story of this beloved game. Poker has many different beginnings but the most popular is that it originated in the 10th century in China, where a card game involving dominos was played. Poker can also be traced to 16th century Persia, where a card game known as ‘Nas’ was played. This game filtered to France in the 17th century and was known as ‘Poque,’ and also to Germany where it was called ‘Pochen.’ Both of these games were influenced by ‘Primero,’ a 16th century Spanish game which involved betting and bluffing. Poker, along with the French colonists, then travelled to America where the game was slightly altered to feature a 52 card deck with five cards dealt to each player. This was roughly around 1834. The game was then introduced to Europe and Britain by the 1970’s and, with the rise of the internet in the 90’s, was a staple favourite all over the world.
Important online poker events in Canada
- 1995: A software system called CryptoLogic is developed by Andrew and Mark Rivkin in their parent’s basement.
- 1996: InterCasino becomes CryptoLogic’s first licensee. Many other online poker sites are launched. The licensing and regulating commission known as the Kahnawake Gaming Commission is established.
- 2001: PokerStars is created by Canadian businessman Isai Scheinberg, a site that is now worth billions and is one of the most popular poker sites worldwide.
- 2010: Online poker is government sanctioned by the British Columbia province. Jonathan Duhamel becomes the first Canadian to win $8.9 million in the main event of the World Series of Poker. The Playground Poker Club opens in Kahnawake and goes on to become one of the most popular clubs in North America.
- 2011: PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker and UltimateBet/Absolute Poker are shut down by the United States Department of Justice. Many Americans consider moving to Canada so they can play poker freely.
- 2012: The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp decide to renovate the casino business and create an online poker site. The Grand Loto-Quebec Poker Tournament is established and featured winnings of a seat in the Big One for One Drop in Las Vegas valued at $1 million. Canadian Guy Laliberté places fifth at the Big Drop for One Drop tournament in Las Vegas, valued at $1.8 million.
- 2013: A poker site based on the PlayNow platform is launched in Manitoba.
Canada Online poker glossary
Name for the player that is acting as the dealer in that round
Under the gun
The first person to act who is usually sitting on the left of the dealer (button)
Cards that are placed face up, which all players can use to improve their hand
The three community cards that are dealt first
Refers to the fifth community card which is also known as fifth street
When all players reveal their hands to determine the winner of the pot
Refers to the fourth community card which is also known as fourth street
Having less chips then the other players
CA Online Poker FAQ