Rugby is a popular sport in Canada, while it may not completely rival Ice Hockey it does come pretty close. So naturally, fans would want to place bets on their favourite teams and their national team too! Ensuring that they get a little something more from their favourite game than just the thrill of watching it.
Rugby was introduced to Canadians in the early 1800’s, and the first game was played in 1865; in Montreal. Although the sport is played in all ten provinces, British Columbia remains the stronghold of rugby in the country.
Since the first match, there have been many developments in Canada’s rugby teams and their strategies. However, the moment that really put Canada on the rugby map has yet to be rivalled. It was 1991, and the national team advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rugby World Cup. On the local front, rugby is a widely enjoyed sport, with players, fans and sports bettors. Read on to learn more about placing rugby bets.
Tips for Rugby Betting
Online betting platforms and online sportsbooks are a convenient way for sports bettors to place their bets. In fact, it is a safe way for Canadian gamblers to maximise on their bets and their winnings. So, to ensure that you are placing the best possible bets, read our tips guide below:
Stay Ahead by Following Rugby News
By keeping up with what’s happening in the world of rugby, you will become aware of injuries, suspensions and popular players; plus, their scandals.
Whether it is news on your favourite team, or their biggest competition, with this information, you will be able to gauge what to expect from the game. Is the best player sitting out? Are there new and less experienced players playing for that team? These are all things that you should take into consideration before placing your bets.
List of Players
If you plan on rooting for a specific team, it would be a good idea to familiarise yourself with its players. Reason being is that a single player can win or lose a game for the team. So, you should familiarise yourself with the players, what they are good at and which ones to look out for. By doing this, you can place informed bets on players and teams.
To get an idea of what a team is capable of, look at what they have been able to achieve in the past. It is possible that by seeing what the team has previously accomplished your bets will be more accurate, assisting in increasing the size of your payouts.
Think about where the team is playing. It is considered to be extremely advantageous for a rugby team to be playing on their home ground. Reason being is that players tend to be more comfortable in a space they know. In addition, the exhilaration that players get from the support of their home crowd can affect their gameplay.
Before betting on a game, it’s a good idea that you check the weather forecast for the day as weather can have a huge effect on a rugby game. Reason being is that handling errors happen more frequently. Also, team members will be less likely to go wide and move the ball through players quickly. Keep in mind, however, that a team with a decent fly-half will be able to adapt to changing weather conditions easily.
How to Place Rugby Bets
When placing rugby bets, try to keep the following steps in mind:
- Set a maximum bankroll amount.
- Decide on the amount of the highest bet you want to make.
- Look through the rugby betting types available before you place your wager.
- Select a licensed bookmaker.
- Select a rugby cup or league.
- Ensure that your bet is placed in Canadian Dollars.
- Watch the game and enjoy your real money payout at the end.
Types of Rugby Bets
When betting on rugby in Canada, there are many different types of bets that you can place. Below is a breakdown of the wager variations possible for sports bettors to make:
Betting on which team will be the winner after the games 80-minutes have elapsed.
This is when you place a bet on which team you think will have the highest score in the first 40 minutes of the game.
Side/ Exotic Bets
These are smaller types of bets that can be placed on the following:
- Anytime try scorer.
- First player to get a conversion.
- The first player to score a try.
- Half-time and full-time bets.
- Home team to win the first half.
- How much the team will win by.
- Last team to score.
- The number of tries made.
- Team to win the first half.
- The first player to score
- The handicap of the first half.
- Total points of the first half.
Major Rugby Competitions to Bet on
Like with all sport some competitions are just more important than others. These competitions will, of course, garner more media coverage, more fans and better odds! So, here is a list of major rugby competitions to bet on:
- Rugby World Cup: The most prestigious competition of them all. It occurs every four years between the top 16 teams in the world.
- 6 Nations: England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France and Italy.
- Aviva Premiership: English Premier League. Starts in September and ends in May.
- European Champions Cup: England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Italy. This competition runs from October to May.
- European Rugby Challenge: this is the second tier of the above competition. This competition is for teams that featured 4th to 6th in their leagues.
- Top 14
- Rugby Championship
As mentioned earlier, the above competitions will be your best bet, but if you’re looking for smaller scale betting, you can try the following competitions.
- Pro 12
- Super Rugby
- Rugby Sevens
These smaller competitions level up the market because they don’t win that often, so the money at stake is actually higher!
No Pads, No Helmets, Just Balls
The sport has come a long way since the creator – William Webb Ellis broke the rules. It has progressed to such great highest that fans not only play and watch but bet on too! Why not try it out today? You could stand a chance to score great real money wins while watching your favourite team scrum away victorious.